shower time

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Usually we just put Bean in the tub with some bath toys and bathe her. This was fine for a while but it really is a hassle. I have to put the stopper in, collect her toys (without toys she tries to touch the faucet and knobs), turn the water on, pour in bath bubbles, and make sure the temperature is okay. Then I have to bend down or sit on the edge of the bathtub (usually wet from her splashing) and lean over to wash her and make sure she isn't trying to stand up or move around. By the end of the whole thing I'm tired and frustrated.

So we decided to try something new. Instead of baths, Bean now takes showers with me. It's so simple and I love it. All I do is turn the water on low to the right temperature hold her and step in. I didn't know if she'd like taking showers with me but figured I'd give it a try and she loves it. At the beginning of each shower she looks around and tries to grab and lick the water. Then I take a washcloth with her soap and wash her down and rinse her off. The first time I was afraid she'd be to slippery or wiggle out of my hands but she isn't. She isn't slippery at all and I think because of her age she knows how high up she is and doesn't even attempt to get down. 

Once she's clean she snuggles into my chest, lays her palms flat against my skin, and closes her eyes. I've never felt more womanly and motherly than when she does this. She coos and sighs as the water splashes on us and I rub her back. She actually starts to fall asleep. Showering with her is probably one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

 I absolutely love shower time with her which is why I decided to document it and have TP take pictures. I didn't want to forget memories like these.







I also plan on having shower time with our son. I just think the skin contact is so important at any age and they are only young for a very short time and I want to cherish it.

-M

7 comments:

Mandee said...

Pictures are beautiful Meg, I'm so happy for you and your family, and am proud of you! Loves!

omgmegg said...

Thanks Mandee. TP knows a little bit about my camera now which is great for me because I can actually be in a few shots, lol.

Jessica @ One Shiny Star said...

Love the pictures - there is something so elegant about them. :)

My parents have always showered with their kiddos. I imagine I will probably do the same. I'm more worried about when I will get to shower though! lol.

omgmegg said...

Thank you! I never had a problem showering. It was one of those newborn parenting myths that I found. I showered when she would nap or when TP was busy with her, or I put her in a little rocker or swing in the bathroom and showered. I was bound and determined to not be one of those moms who didn't shower.

Jessica @ One Shiny Star said...

No one said "you'll never shower!!!" but my sister in law recently had a baby, and when she showers... her older kids take care of the baby - and I was just thinking, I don't have any older kids! lol. I really shouldn't worry... my husband works from home. I can just leave the baby with him for a few minutes... or 20. :)

Cortney said...

These pictures are so gorgeous! Wonderful idea to capture this on film :)

omgmegg said...

Thank you!

Post a Comment

Intense Debate Comments