Turning Towards Home

Monday, April 16, 2012

I have been absent from this space because I have been feeling lost.

I didn’t have much to say about what was happening in our home because I stepped back from it. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has felt like this or the first to become a passenger in their own life. But I think sometimes it’s important to sit back and observe.

We are cleaning up our home. Getting back to basics.

backyard4

Our lives have become hectic and chaotic. Which isn’t always bad. But when the chaos has me looking for diaper cream all over the house only to find it sitting on the dining room table the entire 20 minutes, a hectic and chaotic home isn’t ideal.

This whole experience, taking a passenger seat to my life, has left a lot to be desired.

We are thinking about our goals and the purpose of our family now more than ever since Mozart (using my husband’s real name now) has changed careers. He’s gone from a brick and mortar building and finding the homeless homes to an internet start up company and customer service in the comfort of our home. Not really traditional social work but the start up is a business designed to help find social services for users and I say it’s within the realm.

backyard2

Finances aren’t what they were. There is more money and less hours but the way of obtaining it isn’t what we are familiar with. However, we are sure that this is the right path for our family. We decided to take a leap of faith and so far we are happy where we landed.

Such a drastic change like this means we have to stretch and grow in other areas of our lives. I’m choosing to stretch and grow because resisting doesn’t work. I have to be a steward of our time, money, and family energy. A true preserver of our home. Because when the home isn’t right, babies are cranky, clothes pile up, meals go uncooked and food rots, and tensions are high.

Our family doesn’t do well in chaos. We are not last minute shot clock people and though we are better at performing under pressure than we were, it isn’t ideal and it isn’t comfortable. So we have decided to turn inward, to our home. We are shifting to protect the very thing that makes the rest of our days run smoother and our nights more relaxed.

backyard3

This change in our lives feels right.

Intense Debate Comments