Christmas Dinner | Something a little different

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Since Christmas is at our house, I get to set the menu. Something that really excites me because after years of tradtional meals, I get to change things up a bit. I am so excited to be hosting this year.

Hosting this dinner makes my to-do list a little longer and more odd (perhaps we should buy dinning room chairs) but I am excited none the less.

This year TP won't be carving a turkey (actually, we've never had turkey and he only eats fish so I'm sure he wont mind) and we're putting away the ribs and cornbread for something a little different. Here's our holiday menu:

Christmas Morning


It's a tradition for our family to always start Christmas morning with cinnamon rolls. You can find the recipe I use here. I'm usually too busy making other things for the day so we only have a side of sausage or bacon with these.


Christmas Dinner






I'm kicking the dinner off with Corn and Lobster Chowder and Canberry Spinach Salad. I've never made this before, never tasted it before, but there's no better time than now. Recipe can be found here for the chowder and here for the salad. 



I decided that I wanted to try a different meat. No turkey, no chicken, no ham. Just brisket. I found the recipe here. I've never made brisket before but I know that if I make it right my Dad will be a happy man.



TP doesn't eat meat, only fish. So he will dine on Rosemary-Rubbed Salmon. The recipe can be found here.



Cornbread stuffing is the only thing I'm carrying over from past holiday menus. I just can't leave it out. It's sweet, buttery, and creamy. Amazing. I don't have a recipe link for this, except for the cornbread portion. Maybe I'll write the one my family uses after the holidays.



Red skillet potatoes should go great with the brisket and everything else. I found the recipe here.


Green bean casserole. I've never made this and I haven't tasted green bean casserole (can you believe it!?) but I know my Mom loves it. Recipe can be found here.


Christmas Dinner Desserts


We are fortunate to be around a lot of apple orchards and instead of apple pie, I chose apple cake. You can find the recipe for this here.



For my husband's sanity we are having pumpkin pie. But this is the only thing I'm not making myself. With a menu full of dishes I've never made and the other holiday things I'm planning, I'm not allowing myself to feel guilty. Instead I am embracing the warm welcoming hands of Sara Lee.


So what's on your menu for Christmas Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intense Debate Comments